Message from Mr. Laundra
Sunday, March 29, 2020
Good evening Sand Creek. This is Mr. Laundra with your Sunday Announcements.
- Although extended school cancellations are eminent, all schools in Michigan continue to be closed through April 12th.
- Our Meals for Kids program have been keeping our kitchen staffs and volunteers extremely busy the past two weeks. In that two week span, Sand Creek Schools has prepared and distributed over 6,000 meals. I’d like to take this opportunity to thank the 20-25 people who are working 4-5 days a week in our kitchens. This group of school front liners are our true Sand Creek Covid-19 heroes. I’d like to express my deepest gratitude for this group of Sand Creek front liners. They are amazing people. Between the food vendors and the school nutrition laws, all schools are beginning to have difficulty ordering food that can be prepared and served ready to eat. For this reason, we’ve had to purchase and pack some food items that need to be heated.
- Our kitchen staffs are currently gearing up for this week, especially for this coming Friday. After Monday and Wednesday, this Friday, we plan to distribute meals for the entire next week. That food is going to be provided by I-92 Ministries out of Clinton, MI. Stay tuned for more details about this arrangement. By distributing our April 6-10 food this way, we can give both kitchen staffs some much needed rest for one week. This week’s food distribution schedule remains the same as last week.
- If you haven’t taken the time to visit our school website to get involved in learning from home, we encourage you to do so. Many teachers are communicating with students and promoting learning websites and activities designed to keep our children’s brains working. I anticipate getting more news from our governor and the Michigan Department of Education in the near future, in regards to the state’s expectations for finishing the school year. At this time, there are still many unanswered questions that the state will likely be addressing in the next week or so. Things like graduation, forgiven school days and grade promotion are all up in the air right now.
- Many spring school activities have been cancelled and more are likely. As of today, the Junior/Senior Prom has not been cancelled, spring sports continue to be suspended, graduation is still on the calendar as scheduled and the JH Trip to Chicago has yet to be cancelled.
Good night Sand Creek, and have a healthy, happy and productive week.